Welcome!

In late 2010, having volunteered to assist Drum Barracks Civil War Museum in Wilmington, California, with research in pro-secession activity in California, director Susan Ogle handed me a list of names, places and events for possible investigation. One of those names was that of Dan Showalter, a California politician turned Confederate cavalry officer of whom I'd never heard.

Becoming fascinated just after reading the barest outline of Showalter's life, the next year found me hunting down everything I could find about this largely forgotten character. When I had finished my research -- which included the discovery of several previously unpublished items as well as obtaining the only known photograph from a Showalter descendent -- I had so much material that Susan exclaimed, "You've got a whole exhibit right here!"

And with her guidance, on November 5, 2011, co-curated by myself and Susan Ogle, my "Dan Showalter: California's Arch Rebel" exhibit went on display at the Drum.

Now being slated for removal in August 2012 in that ongoing round of ever-successive new exhibits that mark good museums, I've started this website as a place where, over time, I can memorialize and expand upon all the material accumulated on this remarkable Californian.

Hope you'll return often as this website expands and enjoy!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Publisher's Sale for Pre-Orders!

Just got word from our publisher, McFarland, that they will be putting all of their military history books -- including ours, even though still in pre-order -- from June 1 through June 15. The code for the discount is Military25 and it will give you 25 percent off. Not bad on a book that retails for $39.95, eh?

To order, go to McFarland's website.

If by any chance you've already preordered (whether there or on Amazon or what have you), you can cancel that order and then order again through McFarland's website between June 1 and June 15 to take advantage of this offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment